Sunday, January 8, 2012

Two Decades Down...

   
      It's official! Today, I entered my third decade on this crazy earth. It's really freaky! I have a ton of deep and fascinating thoughts on this 20-29 age group, but I'll get to that later in this post. First, I'll tell you about my oh so interesting day! I started off this oddly warm day with a huge piece of the cake you see above. It's now sitting in the fridge in my apartment waiting to be eaten by my roomies. After that, I opened my gifts from my family and packed to head to Baton Rouge - stop one on my personal Road to the BCS or whatever that corny thing is they've been doing. Eventually, we made our way to P.F. Changs and stuffed our faces (yes, this day was full of food). After that, my family abandoned me at my apartment, and I patiently awaited the arrival of my buds.
      Once Hannah and Caroline got here, we thought it would be a good idea to make Alex think we were gone while we hid under her bed and anxiously awaited her arrival. Well, we waited...and waited...and waited. I mean seriously, who waits an HOUR to go into their room after getting home?! In the end, she screamed, I screamed, we all screamed, and it was all worth it. Now, I'm sitting in my apartment with four of my dearest friends and my potential future roomie (shout out to Dylan ya'll!) watching the best episode of Friends ever made and talking about things that I'm pretty sure other people don't talk about. Although this birthday hasn't turned into anything I expected it to be even just a month ago, I can't imagine a better way to end it. Like most of my days in the past few weeks, there were obstacles that had to be overcome. Luckily, it's impossible to feel sad when you're surrounded by so much happiness. I love these girls, and I love that they're willing to spend time with this crazy old lady.
      We have finally arrived at the time where I share my thoughts and pretend thousands of people are hanging on every word, desperately wanting to hear more. Ha! As I mentioned, this entire decade freaks me out. I just don't know how else to describe it. In the next ten years, most of my peers will get big kid jobs, get married, and have (expected) babies. Am I ready for all of that? I know I'm getting ahead of myself and all this freakiness will pass, but still! There are so, so many things I want to do in the next ten years. I have this silly plan where I want to be married and at least expecting a child by the time I'm 28. I say silly because I know that the plans I make for myself are just me refusing to accept that God is going to do whatever he wants with my life, whether I'm cool with it or not. Anyway, it's the things I want to do before I hit the 28 mark that are more important. First, I want to graduate from LSU and go on to get my Master's in occupational therapy. I was given a semi-absorbant brain for a reason, so I might as well soak up as much as I can. Heck, I might even get my doctorate one day...maybe.
      More importantly, I want to do some serious mission work. I'm talking months in Kingston with Missionaries of the Poor or wherever else I'm called to go to. I've even considered joining the Peace Corps after grad school if I'm not committed to anything when I graduate. I just want to go and see and go and see until I can't go and see anymore. I want my kids to not believe half of my stories because they are just that outrageous. The best part about all of this is that during this decade, we really are provided with everything we need to do whatever we want. As a college student, I have so many resources to turn to. There's someone, somewhere on this campus who can answer any question I have, or at least lead me to someone who can. Also, old people love hearing about the dreams of college kids. I think it might be because they have a few dreams that haven't been fulfilled, but that's just a hunch. No matter where you go, there is someone who would love to help you move forward on your journey. Crazy how God sets that up for us. To sum it up, as freaked out as I am by being in my twenties, I'm even more excited about it. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me!
      I'm starting to crave some birthday cake, so I'm out of here. Tomorrow, I kind of have this big football game to go to, so don't expect to hear from me. Instead, look for me on ESPN to the left of the north side goal post. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment