Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Back to School, Back to School.

      Okay, I completely forgot how exhausting school is. I woke up at 6:45am, again regretting scheduling 7:30 classes. Yes, it gives me time to go to work in the afternoons, but it is SO HARD to get up. I am so jealous of people who don't go to class until 9 or 10 in the morning. So, so jealous. Anyway, my first class was English. It's a service-learning class focused on hunger problems. All of my papers will be dealing with local and national hunger issues, and I'll be volunteering at the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank. My teacher is a PhD student, so she's laid back and understanding. Gotta love when that happens. My second class of the day was Faith and Doubt. The teacher is really interesting, and I think taking classes like this is a really great way to learn how to talk to all kinds of different people. The only downside is having seven (possibly eight) books to read that are all old and boring.
      Once I got to my third class, the day just got awful. My physics professor literally talked for 80 minutes straight. Literally. He talked only about the syllabus, and he used every minute he was given to do it. If I didn't know how important doing your own homework was before, I sure do now! Being in a stinky old lecture hall struggling to pay attention just reminded me of my days of misery as a Biology major. It was awful! As if that wasn't bad enough, I had public speaking after. Public speaking is my worst nightmare. So I'm sure you can imagine how happy I was to walk in and see a woman, who I am pretty sure is the leader of a Wicken tribe, staring me down. She was terribly unpleasant, and I am not looking forward to any part of this class at all. I am praying that the seven people in front of me for physiology drop by Thursday morning. Praying. Hard.
      Thankfully, tonight was dinner and Alive at Christ the King. It felt so good to put all of my worries and struggles aside for a while and just focus on spending time with friends and with God. I can't think of anything better than sitting in front of the Eucharist on the altar with the rain pouring down outside while 30+ people sing praise and worship. You can't help but let yourself become a part of it when you're in there. Lately, it's been so hard for me to remember my blessings in the midst of my struggles. I am nowhere near where I want to be right now when it comes to the way I think about my life, but I'll get there. This is a journey, right? Sorry but I have no picture for today. If I did, it would be one of me looking exhausted and halfway dead. That's what I am right now. So I'm going to sit here and read a little of Paine's The Age of Reason to put myself to sleep. Clearly, college is back. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment