Saturday, March 3, 2012

Last Post Ever?

      In less than 24 hours, I'll be running The Rock'n'Roll New Orleans half marathon! There is a terribly high chance that my legs will finally rebel, detach themselves from my body, and run the other direction so they never have to be tortured by me again. So, if I never post again, that's why. Before I talk too much about the race, let me tell you about the glorious week and a half I've had since Ash Wednesday!
      So far, I'm doing fabulous with my Lenten sacrifice and prayer. I haven't touch anything that is deliciously sweet, and I'm sticking to doing my Lenten devotional every night. I know that many people out there, Catholics included, think that Lenten penances are just a Catholic's second chance at New Year's resolution, and it's something that they only have to do for forty days! Well, there is just so much more to it. Although we are giving up frivolous, petty things for the most part, this penance still allows us the opportunity to grow so much closer to God. For example, every time I start to think that I want something sweet to eat, I take the opportunity to talk to God and thank him for all that He is doing for me. Do you know how many more prayers I say a day now?! I can honestly say that in the past ten days, I have been so much happier. Everyday, I find it so incredibly easy to see what God is doing through me and for me. Best Lent I've ever had!
      In other news, I've gotten a lot done future-wise lately! Last weekend, I took the practice GRE. Needless to say, I have some preparation to do. I have no desire to even look at those scores again! Also, I went to my junior meeting this week. It's this wonderful place where people print your audit, cross out everything you've taken, and circle everything you still need to take. Oh, and they tell you everything else you're supposed to be doing to get ready for grad school. They make you feel like you're on the right track and completely off track all that the same time. The highlight of that meeting was finding out that I only have 50 hours left to take to finish my degree. Wahoooooo! Mind you, it's basically 50 hours of upper level kinesiology classes and psychology classes, but still. I'm actually getting somewhere! I really need to start volunteering and shadowing, but working on campus takes up all of my time. The weeks need to have eight days, geez!
      Last Sunday, I did my last run in preparation for tomorrow. I meant to do more, but the past week was so incredibly busy.  I managed to pump out a grueling ten miles, which I hope come a lot easier tomorrow! While running, I did get to see this!
Pelicans!
I'm pretty sure that before Sunday, I hadn't even seen this many pelicans in my twenty years on earth. There were groups like this all over the lakes! They always make me think of the stork who brought me to my momma. :)
      Like I said earlier, the past ten days have been wonderful. I've been so aware of all the blessings in my life, and I've been able to keep up with my work without wanting to lose my mind. Although I have a super important week coming up (why do we have midterms anyway?), I'm still sooooo excited about the race tomorrow! Running a half marathon is something I never dreamed I would be able to do, and now I'm positive I will finish...unless my legs to in fact just run away from me. We're leaving for New Orleans in just a few hours, and I have some serious studying and packing to do before then. I'll leave you with some beautiful pictures from this week. Later!
The Quad is full of these things right now.

It's impossible to be grumpy when this is where you go to school.


No comments:

Post a Comment