Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent.

      Okay, so clearly this blogging stuff is just going to have to be a weekly thing. Just consider it a treat if I manage to post more often than that!  My Mardi Gras holiday was nothing too spectacular. There was no wild partying, no CPMG (you're lucky if you don't know what that stands for), and I remember everything that has happened in my life since my last post! I spent most of my time hanging out with friends, spending some serious QT with my momma, and getting in some good runs before the race...which is now only 9 days away! AHH! Anyway, there really was nothing too interesting about my break. It was a break that I needed sooo badly and one that I am sooo glad I got. Here are two of the highlights of my trip home...
Puppies!!! 
South Louisiana sunset.
      While I had a fabulous trip home, I had to return to the real world at some point. I headed back to Baton Rouge late on Wednesday afternoon, and I did some thinking on the way. I think this picture sums up my thoughts pretty darn well.
Basin bridge.
I took this while driving over the Atchafalaya. My apologies to all you road police who don't want me using my phone while driving! Anyway, I took this because I was taken aback by what I saw in my mirror. How could what was behind me look so different than where I was at that moment? Hadn't I just come from that view in the mirror? It's crazy how quickly our interpretation of one moment can change. Oh, and another thing. See how the view in the mirror is starting to get all dark and gloomy, while the view through the window is so beautiful and blue? Yeah, totally my life. It's time for me to leave all of the icky feelings and memories that have been plaguing me in the past. It's time for me to focus on what is in front of me. I need to pull it together, in school and in every other area of my life. 
      Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, as most of you know. It's a day that marks the beginning of Lent, a time of preparation through penance, fasting, prayer, and all that good stuff. My roommates and I have decided to give up all things sweet, which will definitely be a challenge. While I have always chosen something to give up during Lent, I've come to realize over the past few years that I need to do more than that. Lent is the perfect time to grow deeper in our faith, and that's what I try to do. I'm doing a Lenten devotional every night before I go to bed, I'm trying to focus more on thanking God for everything He does for me throughout the day, and the (Catholic) roomies and I have this grand plan of night prayer and rosaries. There is so much more to Lent than not drinking alcohol for 40 days and not having a burger on Fridays. If you don't do it for the other 300ish days in the year, at least open your heart to Him for these 46 days (gotta count Sundays, y'all!). Later!


1 comment:

  1. Hello PenguEm! I recently stumbled upon your blog, and I must tell you how truly inspiring it is! I first found your blog when searching for penguin blogs, but after reading your blog I soon realized we have much more in common! =) I too have recently discovered my need to listen to God and my heart as well. I decided to comment on this particular post because of the absolutely beautiful meaning you found in the picture you took while driving! Once again so amazing! Thank you for such encouraging posts! Please update as often as you can!
    P.S. I'm praying for you for better and happier days ahead! =)

    ReplyDelete